Sunday, April 10, 2011

Week 11 Art Making: Masks

Bolivian Diablo Mask
24" painted papier mache, glitter and glass
Carnival, Oruro, Bolivia
This mask covers a gamut of elements and principles of design, including, color, repitition, line, texture, variety and balance among the others!  This is a typical "parade" mask for the South American Carnival celebration.
 Halloween Ghoul 2
Germany
10" paper 
Early 1900s
This mask includes shape, monochromatic color, proportion and balance in its composition.  The emphasis on simplicity is interesting and the small holes for the eyes create a mysterious feeling.
 Native American
Cornhusk mask, Iroquois, Northeast United States
17", natural fiber
The organic quality of this mask is intriguing with simple form, monochromatic tone and balance.  The hair is full of movement and rhythm.
 I have always been fascinated by the mystery of  Venetian style masks, and for my mask creation, I have chosen to draw inspiration from this style mask.  Here is my first internet search, followed by a rough sketch.  I collected my supplies from my fabric and craft scraps. Experimenting with a fabric stiffener, I soaked a piece of black silk organza in Paverpol, then shaped it on a styrofoam head.  When it was dry, I added feathered and beaded lace, black silk organza and light violet silk habotai for a ruffle.  To finish it off, I added feathers and an elastic to hold it on.   I consider this a prototype of a mask as it woud involve a great deal more time than the scope of this assignment allows.



No comments:

Post a Comment