Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Week 11 Video Reviews

"Islamic Art at the V&A"
 I chose this video because I thought the text was an overview and wanted to learn more about the making of the works of art.
I am in complete awe of the intricacies of the various types of artwork, the metal inlay work, the carving of the rock crystal ewer and illustrations of poetry.  The works are so complex and intricate that the tasks had to be tedious and monumental at the very least. The textile work and the Ardabil carpet were wonderful to see "live", not just in print.
The topics covered related well to the text and gave a tremendous support to the material covered by expanding the breadth and depth of examples covered in Living with Art.
In my opinion, this film is very well done and a delightful tour and narration by the curators of the Jameel Gallery at the V&A in London kept my attention to the very end.

African Art: Legacy of Opression
 I chose this video simply because it was the first on the list for African art.   
The key concept I learned was that several of the modernists, for example Picasso, drew inspiration from African sculpture and masks.  I also had little knowledge of the Belgian invasion and horrible abuse of the people of the Congo region, and learned how the Belgian people came to own the African artifacts that are part of the Turveren Museum in Belgium. 
The video expands on the topic of African art, and covers an area of historical oppression that is not covered in the text.
In my opinion, Art historian, Ramona Austin,  does a fantastic interpretation of specific artifacts, and gives a nice directive on how to draw meaning from an observation.

Buddhism
I chose this film because I have become interested in Buddhist philosophy in recent years and I am always a seeker of knowledge. 
The key concept I learned was that it wasn't until long after Buddha's death did the art of the Buddha come into being. 
The video correlates well to the text and offers a more detailed narrative on the architectural art of the temples.
In my opinion, this film should be a requirement to support the text readings in Living With Art.
 
Hindusism
 I chose this film because of an interest in Hindu culture.
The key concept was not learned in this film, but reinforced, is that Hinduism is exotic and mysterious.  The Gods/Goddesses that link to Brahma (God) are not really much different in the way the Saints are a link to God in Catholicism.  There is a tension between the ordinary and the extraordinary, and yet in Hinduism, coexists side by side in artifacts. 
The video is a much more in depth look at  the philosophy behind the art of Hindusim, and gives many more examples of the carvings on the temples. 
In my opinion, this film is awesome, giving many examples of Hindu architectural art.  I am going to review it, just to see the intricate carvings and symbolism of the temples.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment