Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 14: Video Reviews

The Lowdown on Lowbrow: West Coast Pop Art
The key concept  in this video seems to be that this form of art is widely seen and used in many industries such as music, print, packaging, and body art but still remains outside the realm of accepted terms of art categories.  The interviews are very diverse and bring forward many opinions of the art form, debating the tag associated with it (lowbrow).  The dictionary term for lowbrow refers to an uncultured or unintelligent group or thought, when in actuality nothing could be farther from the truth.  Referring to this art form as lowbrow is sarcastic or tongue in cheek.


This video does not relate to my Art Exhibition project because I do not see my theme involved in the art or artists' works presented, however, I will try to include a lowbrow image if I can.

In my opinion, the pop art of low brow, is part of everyday life, we are more inclined to see and experience this art simply by its delivery. This is a video that is  very well put together video,  very informative, and encourages viewers to think about lowbrow with a more modern approach outside of the traditional art school parameters. I don't think this video adds to the concepts I encountered doing the Art Curation project because it was more about the art as a "non" movement than as a curated show.

Displaying Modern Art: The Tate Approach
The key concept of this video is that art should be displayed in museums within four themes that have been expanded from still-life, landscape, history and nude to still-life/object/real-life; landscape/matter/environment; history/memory/society; and nude/action/body.  By adding to the four categories, curators can widen the basic structure of the themes so as to incorporate many more directions of art.

The video will likely assist in selecting my images for the Art Exhibition project because it will expand my options within my theme.

In my opinion, the video provides basic information on the way art is curated in galleries, touches  on the differences between the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Tate Modern in England, but mostly informs us of the method in which collections are put together within the four themes. Therefore, I do feel it adds to the concepts I explored in my Art Curation Project, by helping to understand why certain works were included in the exhibit, and why they were bracketed within the exhibit.

Bones of Contention: Native American Archeology
 The key concept of this video is that in the name of science, human rights are violated.  However, if the approach is mutually beneficial to all involved as a whole, the study of Native American remains can be informative to scientists and historical cultures.


I think this video will help my Art Exhibition project development because it adds to my research of Native American techniques.

I do not feel this video had any correlation to my Art Curation  project because the emphasis was more on the controversy of science and cultural preservation.

George Eastman House:  Picture Perfect
The key concept of this video is the presentation of the impact that George Eastman's contribution to the art world through the development of photographic technology and making it available to the consumer and as the driving force in the motion picture industry.

The amazing world of photography, from the discovery of techniques and equipment is a very good presentation that makes this video a companion to the information presented in Living With Art, by presenting the subject in a museum format at Eastman's estate in Rochester, New York.

This video may assist me in my research for the Art Exhibition project because undoubtedly the images I will be able to find used photography to capture them.

In my opinion, the information was presented in an organized, chronological fashion and makes for a good advertisement to go SEE the exhibit. I also think it the Art Curation project into another perspective by adding the element of chronology  as a way of curating an exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment