Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week 5: Art Gallery Visit #1-Responding to Artwork

 Which artworks make an impact or impression on me?
Why?
Claes Oldenburg, "Soft Manhattan #1" (Postal Zones), 1966. Stenciled Canvas filled with Kapok, 70 x 26 x 4" is a fabulous contradiction in respresentation.  Manhattan, often referred to as "the concrete jungle" is depicted in a 3D soft sculpture.  This left an impression on me because of this.  It is a great concept - something hard, represented as soft- that I would like to consider for a future project.


"Untitled" by James Nares. 1995, oil and enamel on paper, 48 x 36"is a visually balanced composition that appears to have been created under control, yet the over all composition has elements that also appear to have happened by chance.  At first, it seemed to me that the work was done on fabric but it was done on paper.  It left me wondering how he acccomplised the circular image, so I Googled him and saw an image of him suspended on a swing/sling over the horizontal surface.  Very intrigued by the other work I found in Google images.



 Finally, "The Tow-Path at Argenteuil" Claude Monet. 1875 oil on canvas 23 4/8 x 39 3/8" is a master of Impressionism's depiction of fading winter along a harbor.  The composition is balanced in color, in light, in object placement.  The implied lines are soft, yet defined and the viewer's eyes travel throughout the piece.  Aesthetically alive with feeling of peacefulness, I could feel the mist of fog on my face. 




 Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
It didn't take me long to be drawn to one of the first paintings on exhibit at the Albright Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY.  This painting was "The Beadstringers"1882, by John Singer Sargent,  oil on canvas, 26 3/8" x 30 3/4"because of the affinity I have for artwork depicting women in the 19th century participating in handwork.   The artwork has very little light, only entering the windows and doors on the left and the skirt of the woman standing on the right.  This is odd for the craft which requires light!  I have always had an intuition that in a former life, I worked in the embroidery ateliers in Paris or Florence.  
 Piet Mondrian Composition No. 11, 1940-42, Oil on Canvas, made me smile as I recognized the painting as an image that is vastly repeated in the fashion and interior design industries.  I've seen it on dresses, sneakers, and glasswear.  It brought back a fond memory of a dress my mother had in the 1970s (I'm sure a designer knockoff).  When she wore it, I always felt the need to draw x's in the blank spaces!


In addition to the two previously acknowledged works, "The Unentitled Graces", by Jess 1978, Paper Collage 41 1/4" x 61 1/4" fascinated me.  By nature of collage, there is just so much to find in this piece, that I am including a full view photograph and a detail.  Many parts of the piece had "ah, Oh I know remember that", attributes.  This piece makes me think of growing up in Western New York in the 1960-1970s.  



























Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
I would like to know more about Zhan Wang's "Urban Landscape Buffalo. Stainless Steel pots, pans and kitchen utensils. Installation. It is such a complex structure, with what seems to be endless supply of restaurant kitchenware, I would like to know how he conceived of the idea.....what brought him to use these products to illustrate the urban landscape?  Amazing.  
 I would also like to know more about Gary Simmons' "D.C. Pavillion" 2007 Pigment, Oil paint, and cold wax on canvas, 84x120".  How does he use the mediums in the piece to achieve a velvet-like surface appearance intrigues me.  


Byron Kim's "Commission for Synecdoche", 2008, oil and wax on wood fascinated me from across the gallery.  Much deeper in meaning, politically and racially, than the on the surface look of a variety of colors of kitchen cabinet panels in Home Depot, the composition brings all races together in a symbolically unified way without bringing faces, history, prejudice or hatred to the wall.  What a wonderful way to define the human race.  I'd like to know more about this concept.


6 comments:

  1. Great Pictures! How did you get the picture of Zhan Wang's art work? Every time I tried they kept telling me I couldn't. I also spent a lot of time looking at "Soft Manhattan #1" because of like you said the concept of hard and soft in the same work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reviewing my blog! I guess it depended on who the guards were on duty about taking the pictures. When I asked where I could find more information on the installation, the person who occupied the desk directed me to the wrong placard. "Soft Manhattan#1" has really captured my interest and I keep going back to my picture, and have also researched other works by Claes Oldenburg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica!
    I was also amazed at Zang Wong's Urban Landscape. I think it is amazing how he was able to take kitchen utensils and implement them to create such an installation. I also selected Monet's The Tow-Path at Argenteuil while at the gallery. This painting really reminds me of a time when I was younger playing along the lake. I agree that it really sends a feeling of peacefulness.
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed looking at your Blog. Great work on your project there and you defiantly have some artist abilities. I was thoroughly impressed with the variety of the works you used for you project. I also used the pots and pans display in my project. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, your first art work in your blog, “Soft Manhattan #1” was also one of the works that caught my attention at the Albright Knox. I didn’t add it in my blog but it was another work that I enjoyed. I thought the concept of making what is typically seen as a city of blocks and blocks of concrete represented in a soft material was a creative approach, though it does also look like stone. I also chose “D.C. Pavilion” because of the vivid background color and interesting textured effect of the white. I agree that he has a special ability to make the entire canvas appear to be of almost a velvety texture. Great work on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zhan Wang's Urban Landscape Buffalo was one of my favorites. The installation was so unique and creative by using kitchen utensils. Great job on the pictures and explanations.

    ReplyDelete