Saturday, May 7, 2011

Week 15: Art Curation Project #4

Curating an art exhibit is not as easy as one would think!  I chose shoes in Art as my theme, and the challenge was that there are so many images that it was difficult to narrow down my selections to accommodate the space available for the exhibit.  I enjoyed bringing all the previous course work together to create a virtual art exhibit using Power Point because it provided an opportunity to play the role of a professional in the art world.

I was unable to successfully access Art Store.  To search for images I did a few things.  First, I simply entered "shoe art" into Google Image search.  When I found images that I wanted to include, I saved them, and then went to the website where the image could be found to obtain more information.  I then did a web search for the title of the work.  Secondly, I wanted to include some of the artists that we had studied during the course work, Warhol, Picasso, Dali, Degas and Van Gogh. I did Google Web Searches with each artists name, and included shoes in the search.  This was successful.  Thirdly,  I needed some missing information on some works, so in the case of installations and sculptures, I emailed the Chamber of Commerce of the city in which it took place for more information.  Within a day or two, I had responses.  I also emailed some of the galleries for more information and also received quick responses.

Once I had all my information, I began arranging my exhibit accordingly, grouping them historically, and by medium, however, some works crossed platforms so I needed to make some adjustments.

As I have seen in some art galleries, places where families can participate in art activites, I included a "space" in my exhibit where people can let the artist in them create shoe art using a variety of mixed media that is provided.  I thought this would be a fun and interesting attraction.


After watching the videos on curators and curating, my interest in gallery employment has peeked.  I think that it would be tremendously rewarding to do this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment