Monday, March 7, 2011

Art Making/Material Exploration #3: Installation


Installation art is an artwork in which a space is presented as the work of art.  It can be interactive in such a way that the viewer can explore, experience and reflect upon it by entering that space.  Any materials can be used, a decision made by the artist. Artists create this type of work, an installation, so the viewer can interact with, or move into the space to experience it.  Two installations that I find most interesting are Zhan Wong's, Urban Landscape Buffalo, on exhibit at the Albright Knox Art Gallery and Griffis Sculpture Park in East Otto, NY.  While Wong's exhibit is a "no touch" exhibit, the viewer can view it from four different sides, and many angles.  At Griffis Sculpture Park, the viewer can touch, climb on, and walk/crawl under the sculptures.

For my installation art project, my intent was to take much of my studio work, and place it in the open space outside the elevators on the 4th floor at Upton Hall on Campus.  Due to illness and timeliness of the assignment due date, I have had to change that plan.  In my installation, I want to work within the theme of the Here and Now, a moment in time of my work. This also includes the theme of Self.  I will use all the materials that I can that depict a day in the life of a fiber artists work.  My work will be in my studio at home, for the reason I stated above. After several attempts to upload a video of the space to no avail through either this application or photobucket, I am uploading 4 photographic images instead.


Monica White
"studio freeze frame"'
Installation Art
March 2011
12' x 15'





This is a fiber artist's studio, jam packed with mixed media and related fiber materials, tools and equipment.  The elements take over the studio space.  The theme is both Self and Here and Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment