Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 8 Video Reviews

More Human Than Human
The key concept I learned in this video was over the different periods of civilization, human images have been created in both unrealistic and realistic representation. For example, the Venus of Willendorf, a small sculpture from 25,000 years ago, is an unrealistic image of the female form.  However, during the Renaissance, Michaelangelo's human sculptures are realistic representations of the human form.

The video correlates well to the text, Living With Art, in elaborating on the topic of realistic and unrealistic representation of the human form, referencing the same examples.

In my opinion, this film is quite repetitive to the text, however, it supports the text in an auditory and visual way.



I chose the following three videos to watch and review because the titles captured my attention.  I have heard of all three subject matters but did not know much about the subject matters.

A World Inscribed, Illuminated Manuscript

I have heard of Illuminated Manuscripts, however, I have to admit I did not know what they actually were, so I the title of the video drew my attention.

The key concept I learned was that the definition of  Illuminated is illustrated.  The manuscripts were scribed by Monks in monasteries, an intensely laborious task and the artwork illustrated the texts.  I found it fascinating that the Monks also added their own little artwork in the margins. 

The video information expands on art of the Middle Ages covered in the text, Living With Art.

In my opinion, this video was fascinating, and has prompted me to add further research on the Illuminated Manuscripts to my personal list of topics I want to know more about.

Cairo Museum

I think just about everyone has heard something or seen something about Egyptian art, whether it be the Pyramids or hieroglyphics.  Several years ago, I recall the traveling exhibit of King Tut, although I did not have the opportunity to see it, so I was hoping this video would include the subject matter and I was not disappointed!

The key concept I learned was how advanced the Egyptian civilization really was and how much knowledge has been revealed by all the relics that have been unearthed.  The most fascinating was the evidence of plastic/orthopaedic surgery done on a man who had lost a toe and the prosthetic toe that was found in his mummified body.  The many thousands of artifacts is unbelievable. 

The video related to the text, Living with Art, only it was far more informative.

In my opinion, this film could have been much longer, as I wanted to know and see so much more.  I was intrigued by the processes of art the Egyptians employed in adornment, using metals, precious stones and textiles.

Beyond the Classical:  Byzantine and Later Greek Art

I never tire of Classical and Neoclassical architecture, so my interest in this subject matter and wanting to know more about this period is what made me elect to view this video.

The key concepts I learned more about was the influence of Constantine on the art and culture of the period, and how Christianity and the monuments are the focus of the artwork, then, and still today in curriculum foundation in the schools of fine arts.

The video is a fabulous enhancement of the topic that is covered in the text, Living With Art, by including narratives from various experts on the topic of Greek Art over the ages.

In my opinion, it would be beneficial to have this particular video as a required viewing before reading the text, as it would make the text reading more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment