Thursday, March 24, 2011

Week 9 Video Reviews Renaissance

Albrecht Durer: Image of a Master

I chose this video because he is an artist I know little about. 

The key concepts I learned in watching this video was that Durer was the first landscape artist of Europe and associated with the Northern Renaissance.  When he was 13 years old he drew a self portrait of intense detail using silverpoint.  He is also known for his printmaking.

The video related to the text by exploring this artist of the Northern Renaissance life and contributions to the period and in my opinion added depth to the understanding of the growth of art in this region and period.


The Night Watch

I also knew of Rembrandt but not much about his life and work, my impetus for choosing this video to view.

The key concepts I learned from this video was the incredible events that fated the painting, The Night Watch as well as how the use of x-ray technology to study how the painting was created and changed as Rembrandt worked different areas.  This painting, considered to be a national treasure of Holland, is of great scale, has been moved many times, was "cut to fit" a space (absurd!), suffered acts of desecration and violence and has constantly been repaired and restored. 

The video is a fantastic choice to companion the text, Living with Art, as the narration really expands on the Northern Renaissance artists, as well as what was going on in Europe at this time in history.  In my opinion, this video should be a requirement of the week's topic and lesson.

El Greco:  Rediscovering a Master

I chose this video because it was about one of the (for me) less focal artists of the Renaissance.

The key concept I learned was that El Greco influenced the Modernists, in particular, Pablo Picasso, who was so enthusiastic about El Greco, that the influence is evident in Picasso's work. 

The video was mediocre in it's correlation to the text, Living with Art, and spent so much more time on his personal life than anything else.  I think the video was about 20 minutes too long and I began to lose interest rapidly at that point.  It is not well narrated and periods of silence made it seem like the video would never end.

Leonardo da Vinci:  The Mind of the Renaissance

I chose this video because I never tire of learning anything about Da Vinci.

 The key concepts that I learned from this video was even though there are so many documentations of his thoughts and work, we can't possibly know all there is to the depth of his contributions to history.
Leonardo DaVinci's must have never stopped, always reflecting, always thinking. 

This video was no disappointment to relating to the text, Living With Art, and in approximately an hour's time, one only gets a brief overview of the man's contribution to art of the Renaissance.  My opinion of the film is that it adds depth to the readings, and as far as art goes, that this Master had intense depth of thought that is so evident in his art, and science as art as well.  This video should be required to view prior to the readings because of the scholarly contributions to the Renaissance and the support of this concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment