Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week Two, Video Review Blog

In "Through the Eyes of a Sculptor", the key concept that I learned is that art or craft requires time and patience as well as well planned out execution from concept to completion.  Often, extreme research and search for just the right materials requires a certain passion for your craft.  Sometimes, as an art student, I find this to be the most frustrating part of an assignment are the time constraints!!!I also endeared the concept of a team of artisans that all work on a facet of the process.
In "Glass and Ceramics", the key concept that I learned is that the scientific use of the material is limited only to the imagination and creativity of those that chose this medium.  The medium of glass is not restricted to the artist, but is a field of scientific development that we have only begun to utilize. 
"Installation Art" left me with the impression that anything or everything is art,  how the viewer receives and reacts is open to interpretation.

The videos relate to the text, Living With Art, by expanding on  the definition of three dimensional artwork.  Also, I have a much better understanding of Installation Art, and how to create a work of installation for this week's Art making Assignment.  

In my opinion, of the three films, "Through the Eyes of the Sculptor", "Glass and Ceramics", and "Installation Art, I found "Through the Eyes of the Sculptor" to be the most interesting followed by "Glass and Ceramics".  "Installation Art", for lack of another word, boring.  Only the very last 8 or 10 minutes was able to keep my attention.  I have to admit, I watched it four times on separate days to eliminate the possibility that I was preoccupied or tired when viewing it.  The narrators seemed to just droll on endlessly and spoke as if they were half asleep or wanted to keep their thoughts a secret.
Sculpture fascinates me now, and I am inclined to pursue a course in it in my curriculum as a result of this film.  The films definitely added a depth to my understanding of sculpture, installation and craft by exploring the processes with human explanation and interpretation, not just by photography in the text book.  The interpretation also added to blurring craft and art, and I truly believe one cannot exist without the other.   

No comments:

Post a Comment