Thursday, May 12, 2011

Week 16: Self Portraits







I had difficulty finding a third self portrait at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, so I asked a representative for assistance.  She said the "Music and Literature" by William Hartnett is a self-portrait because these were his interests, that is why I included this image.  Of the three, the most exciting is of course, the Pablo Picasso, "The Artist and his Model". 

Here is the photograph of myself.


and my self portrait




1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces? The three inspirational pieces were selected because this is what was available at the Albright Knox Art Gallery.


2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait? I would really like to have a few weeks to do a self portrait using dyed fabrics, machine embroidery to draw with thread but time constraints will have to leave this for another time.  Therefore, I have chosen pencils and oil pastels on mixed media paper.


3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them? the challenge I faced was simply- taking a photograph of myself.  I never like this.


4. How does this piece represent you? Simply a representation of a photograph. I am always told that I have "eyes", so I emphasized the eye.


5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work? Somewhat monochromatic, balance and emphasis.
6. Did you enjoy working on this project? No, not under the time gun, although it has inspried me to do a small textile piece over the summer break.


7. What do you think of your final artwork? It is rushed. I feel to do a really well thought out and executed SELF portrait  in my medium of fibers, I would need more time. This is a study to be developed.


No comments:

Post a Comment