Saturday, May 7, 2011

Week 16: Video Reviews

Greenberg on ARt Criticism:  An Interview by TJ Clark

The key concept I learned from watching this blog was criticism is basically a "judgement of taste".

The video could not be more boring.  I lost interest almost 5 minutes after the start and did not enjoy watching him chain smoke.

I have to say I do not think this video related to my art criticism project because I did not gain anything from it that enhanced my experience or knowledge.

I think I have covered my opinion of the film and that it did not add any depth to my understanding of art criticism.

Greenberg on Pollock:  An Interview by TJ Clark

The key concept of this video was repetitive to previous course work on the controversy behind whether or not Jackson Pollock can be consid
ered a modern master.

The video relates to the art criticism project in that a criticism can be debated as either objective or subjective. 

My opinion of the this film is that the two men tend to over speak each other and at times is difficult to hear what they are saying. 

An Introduction to the Italian Renaissance (Giorgio Vasari)

The key concept of this video is that  Art Criticism  has its beginnings in the Renaissance with Giorgio Vasari, as he wrote about the masters of the period in his book, Lives of the Artists.

The video relates well to the art criticism project in that it explains that art techniques /styles grow from what has been done before it and we then can compare and contrast.

This was the best of the films we were required to watch for this assignment.  Even though the information was in drama form, the clarity of the voices, the manner in which the actors conversed made the material easy to understand and retain.

The Critics:  Stories from the Inside Pages

The key concept I learned from this video is two fold- one: to be a good critic, one must have a passion for what they do and two:  a good critic must have fresh ways of looking at things.

This video relates very well to the Art Criticism project in that it showed many different critics and the how they criticize different mediums such as music, television, movies, and books.

My opinion of this documentary film is that it is very informative, provides many different perspectives but was just too long.



The Colonial Encounter: Views of Non-Western Art and Culture

I failed to understand what the key concept in this video was other than possibly the prejudicial way Dohame culture was presented at the 1900 World's Fair in Paris.


The video relates to Art Criticism in that it explores the opinions of experts.


In my opinion the video may have been better presented with a more dynamic voice.  The female voice was very monotone and just didn't come across as well as it could.


Jackson Pollock: Michael Fried and TJ Clark in Conversation

Michael Fried and TJ Clark in conversation in front of two of Jackson Pollock's paintings show that even critics can debate criticism.


Their conversation relates well to Art Criticism by presenting their respective opinions of Pollock's technique - therefore providing a visual and auditory experience for us as viewers and as critics.


The video adds depth and understanding to my ability to effectively criticize artwork by seeing each critic take command of his position confidently.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment